June 6, 2014 – Jamie Damon, candidate for State Senate District 20, today announced several key endorsements from the public safety community in rural Clackamas County, including Clackamas County Sheriff Craig Roberts, the Clackamas County Peace Officers Association, and Clackamas Fire District 1.
“Jamie understands that a comprehensive approach to public safety includes not only support for our deputies, but also support for our District Attorney, addressing mental health needs, reducing domestic violence and ensuring access to justice for everyone” Sheriff Craig Roberts said, “I know she will be a strong, positive voice for our communities in the Senate.”
Steve Steinberg, President of the Clackamas County Peace Officers Association, added "We're proud to endorse Jamie Damon for State Senate because we know that she cares deeply about the issues facing rural Clackamas County. She is a strong advocate for public safety in the county and has supported funding and good policy for all areas of public safety from our patrol units to corrections. We look forward to working with her in the State Senate.”
Public safety continues to be a priority of for Damon who’s building on her work on the Clackamas County Commission. During her year and a half as a Commissioner, she:
- Reduced county administrative costs to fund critical programs for seniors, vulnerable families and children through a small grants program.
- Worked to pass the successful Public Safety Bond measure in 2012.
- Supported the creation of the Family Justice Center which opened last year to provide domestic violence victims legal, counseling and other services to help them recover.
- Initiated programs and improvements for Parrot Creek Ranch, a program helping troubled teenagers to be successful.
- Worked with police and fire to implement changes to the county’s urban renewal program and negotiated increased safety measures at light rail stations.
- Supported the county’s successful community corrections program especially programs focused on juvenile justice.
“Our families and businesses expect safe secure communities and access to justice.” said Jamie Damon, “and our dedicated police, fire, domestic violence and mental health professionals deserve a champion in the Senate. I am honored to have earned the support of local leaders and organizations that represent the hardworking men and women on the front lines of keeping our communities safe every day,” said Damon.